Rice Bran Oil

Discuss whatever's on your mind!
kai

Rice Bran Oil

Post by kai »

Hi-I just want everyone to know that I lowered my cholesterol by using California Rice Oil. I read that rice bran oil helps to lower cholesterol because it has gamma-oryzanol in it which is a powerful antioxidant. Plus, the oil is loaded with vitamin E. Anyone else have any experience with this oil?? The smoke point is 490 which is great for high heat cooking.
janet

Rice Bran Oil

Post by janet »

What brand are you using? Janet
Rich Menashe

cholesterol

Post by Rich Menashe »

what were your numbers?
kai

Re: Rice Bran Oil

Post by kai »

janet tammero wrote:What brand are you using? Janet

I use California Rice Oil-because it is not genetically modified. I order from their website-www.californiariceoil.com. My cholesterol was at 212 and now it is 187. I only use rice oil and I started working out more.
Nayla Caruso

Post by Nayla Caruso »

Actually, I'd been looking for it to use along with/instead of canola oil. I'll bring this up at Product Commitee.
Interested in urban homesteading, home cheesemaking, minimalist brewing, fermented and traditional foods, sprouting, and more? Join the Multi-Culture Club on the GSC forums!
kai

Post by kai »

I would never use canola oil because of all the negative info and that it is genetically modified. There are better oils to use.
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

Would you suggest some better oils, please.

if possible, some which are not too expensive.

I have also heard bad things about canola but haven't made another choice.

thanks,
ellen
Rich Menashe

oils

Post by Rich Menashe »

supprisingly coconut oil seems like it is better than we thought.
it is saturated so you dont have to worry about it becoming saturated and a trans fat.
sunflower safflower olive are good oils-
its probably better to cook with less oil and more water and add the oil for flavor and or texture at the end.
rich
kai

Post by kai »

Fats are important to add. I use rice bran oil because it is from the bran and germ of rice not the rice itself (brown rice). I also use flaxseed oil because of the Omega's however you can not cook with it. I like using avacado oil on salads-very tasty!
CC

Rice Oil

Post by CC »

I love using rice bran oil. I think I like it better than olive oil because it works better for high heat cooking. I like making stir fry veggies which is what I eat most days so rice oil works great for me.