Book Area

Discuss whatever's on your mind!
Danielle Geist

Book Area

Post by Danielle Geist »

I have looked around and didn't spot anything, but has George Street ever considered having a book section? While visiting another coop in philly I noticed a small cookbook and other section in their store.

I'm not saying that the coop has to turn into a book store or even start purchasing books. Maybe we could set up a book shelf and people could donate (topic appropriate) books they don't want? I know I have a bunch of cook books I don't need anymore and would love for them to go to a new home with loving, appreciative people.

This could either be a donation section or possibly for store credit? What do you all think?
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

Actually we used to have a book section. People would donate books. I found a lot of interesting books there. However, it was in the space which now is the Namaste Cafe.

As much as I think the Cafe is a good thing, there were some things lost in the transition - books, and a meeting room, and a place to crash.

ellen
janet

space

Post by janet »

Hi All

Ditto for missing the space we had as a member room. It did give us a space for events and other spill over item we wanted to offer like free cycle stuff and books. But I think the cafe is a pretty nice addition to the coop and have just started to use it as a refuge when I need time out. I either take a book and snack sometimes from the coop sometimes from the juice bar and veg out. It is a great place for meeting people and sharing ideas and conversation on many of the topics I am interested in. Maybe a book discussion group or book exchange could be arranged once a month. Anybody be interested in coordinating. Once a month we could bring books we are finished with and exchange them with others then take home or donate to the library what no one wants.
gwen

Post by gwen »

That's a great idea Janet! Can't say that I want to coordinate a book club/exchange but I would love to be involved if one gets going.
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

I'd be more interested in a book club than an exchange, just cuz I'd read more if I were sharing ideas with other people.

Actually I'm reading two books right now that perhaps others are interested in reading and discussing.

One is called Side Effects: A Prosecutor, a Whistleblower, and a Bestselling Antidepressant on Trial by Alison Bass
other is
Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen

They are both fascinating to me; of course I am very much interested in the corruption of the medical/pharmaceutical system.

ellen
ellenr

Another (related) idea

Post by ellenr »

I just had another idea-
Maybe a thread on books we are reading - and recommending.

I'd be interested in what other co-opers are interested in, reading about.

e
janet

books

Post by janet »

Me too The only way I can think of getting out there is to have John Leary sent out a email or post it on the bulletin board and put it in the next newsletter.
janet

books of interest

Post by janet »

I have been reading books on kabbalah astrology and Sylvia brown but the one you mentioned Ellen sounds interesting I am going to Barnes an Noble maybe I'll take a look. thanks
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

I got both books at the Piscataway library!

Anyone with a library card from most Middlesex County municipalities can use the Piscataway library.
I suggest you'all check your local library before you buy.
You may be surprised at what they have.

I was surprised at finding both these books, as they go against the "conventional wisdom". Melody Petersen was actually on Bill Moyer's show.
Danielle Geist

Post by Danielle Geist »

Book clubs are fun, but I was also hoping to unload a large section of vegetarian cookbooks.

Although I like to read them, I don't know if a cook book dicsussion group would work out as well. :D

When I was talking with Mara about books in the co-op, she said the same thing: space.

What about where the baskets are now, near the grab-n-go section? If we got a small enough book shelf (to start) we could have people drop off cookbooks (and I have a lot of old vegetarian times magazines that have good articles that I don't need).

If I go to thrift stores this weekend I'll keep my eyes peeled just in case.
janet

Recycle books

Post by janet »

Hi All
I would love to have a section for books but unfortunately there really isn't even enough room for product and special orders in the store. Maybe this is something Drew would consider having in the cafe. But for now a book exchange and discussion group would serve my desire to recycle books and exchange ideas with friends. love Janet
Rich Menashe

book exchange

Post by Rich Menashe »

how about a small bookshelf in the corner at the top of the stairs that people can take or add books too -
if it becomes too cumbersome we can bring the books to a place like pyramid books that buys books back and start again or just scrap the whole idea-
anyone have a small tall bookshelf.
rich