are there any nearby chicken farms?

Discuss whatever's on your mind!
kerrycar

are there any nearby chicken farms?

Post by kerrycar »

I have been looking for a place where i can get free-range organic chickens locally. I am especially interested in chickens being sold whole, i.e. with the guts in their correct spots instead of amassed from other chickens and wrapped in plastic and the feet and head on. I feel like, there are so many farms around, there must be a chicken farm somewhere near here! Alternatively, are there any farmers markets nearby that might have what i'm looking for?

thanks!!!
Danielle Geist

Post by Danielle Geist »

I realize that many people who shop at the co-op are not vegetarian. Regardless, since the co-op is a vegetarian store, be advised that it might be seen as more than a little distasteful to be asking about buying chickens with their guts and heads on the co-op's message board.
Rich Menashe

giblets

Post by Rich Menashe »

good point-
maybe it was tongue and cheek-
pun intended.
karmagirl70

Post by karmagirl70 »

Maybe the bit about guts and such was a bit much, but I think she has a legitimate question and I'd be interested in the answer too. One can also get eggs from chicken farms.

Plus, the co-op has considered adding free-range organic meat to its inventory several times and eventually it will probably happen. Might as well get used to it.
DianaM

Google rocks! :)

Post by DianaM »

I was googling around, and I came up with this>>> http://www.eatwild.com/products/newjersey.html

You can click on a link for a map with farms in the area. I'm sure it's not a complete list, but a good place to start. There are about 4 in our relative vicinity in NJ.

Check it out. Hope it helps!
kerrycar

Thanks!

Post by kerrycar »

thanks for the link, looks interesting. i apologize for offending anyone, but i think this is a community that should (and does) take an interest in knowing where even meats come from, and one that accepts divergent viewpoints. it's kinda funny, because your opinion is that the topic is distasteful in this forum, and my opinion is that this is probably the only place i can find out about such things!! that difference in itself makes for a good community.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

The guts to speak

Post by John Leary »

Kerry, just to ease your mind a wee bit, I didn't see Danielle say that she herself thought the topic was distasteful. She seemed to be saying that some Co-op members might find it distasteful. Certainly my experience at the Co-op backs that up -- there are some very passionate Co-op members!

In any event, this conversation isn't being censored. Hopefully everyone can express their opinions with compassion, knowing that even the Dalai Lama isn't vegetarian!
Melissa Morgan
Location: New York New Jersey NYC New Brunswick.. New Fits Me.

Post by Melissa Morgan »

I agree that this would sort of be the go to forum to find out what others know about organic/free-range meats. And while I don't enjoy reading a head and guts question I respect your right to address that here.

However, I disagree with the statement that the co-op will eventually start carrying meat. If it truly has been brought up so many times before and still has not passed there is obviously a legitimate reason why.