Group wins suit against New Bruns., paves way for ward vote

News and events stories related to Central NJ community.
ellenr

Group wins suit against New Bruns., paves way for ward vote

Post by ellenr »

Morris, or anyone else who is involved -
I am wondering if the action below is related to the initiative I remember Morris posting about - re New Bruns politics.
I didn't follow it very closely, but as I recall, there was an attempt to make city gov't more accountable to the citizens.
If anyone here knows, can you pls tell me if the article below is related, and if so, what you think about the decision.

thanks,
ellenr
==
Residents will vote this November on whether to expand the City Council and reinstate wards after a judge's decision Monday validated the citizens' petition calling for the election.

In a written ruling, Superior Court Judge James P. Hurley, sitting in Middlesex County, said a petition submitted last fall by Empower Our Neighborhoods, or EON, met statutory requirements, and he directed the city and county clerks to take the necessary steps to place the question on the ballot. The petition specifically proposes expanding the City Council from five to nine seats, with six of those seats elected based on wards.

"I'm happy. I'm not ecstatic about it because we still have to get the ballot question approved by the voters in November,'' said Thomas Peoples, a Democratic committeeman and member of EON.
/snip/
entire article at: http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... 1001/RSS09