Co-op café space

News and events stories related to Central NJ community.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Co-op café space

Post by John Leary »

As many of you know, the Co-op has chosen not to renew Drew Patch’s lease which ended on March 31st. Namasté Café has moved out of the building, and the upstairs café space belongs to the Co-op membership again.

Drew made great food and drink, and understandably he has many supporters. We wish him well in all his future efforts.

We all love, and continue to support, the vision of a safe and positive space where delicious, healthy, vegetarian food mixes with progressive culture. So we’re going to make it happen together, as Co-op members. And we’re going to do it democratically, with all of us having a share making it succeed. Please drop an email to cafe@georgestreetcoop.com if you’d like to take part.
ellenrr

Re: Co-op café space

Post by ellenrr »

I'm sorry to see Drew go.
But here are my 2 cents on what I'd like to see.
I liked it when the upstairs room was "undesignated".

We would eat there and meet new people. Once I went to a meditation there with Conny Jasper that was so awesome I still remember it several years later. We had a class there on the Ecology of Place, which was wonderful. I remember having discussions in that room where I first learned about the Gerson method to heal cancer. I remember when Jennifer first introduced me to the deliciousness of a coop organic baked potato. I remember talking to people about Lyme disease.

I could go on...so many interactions with co-op people that contributed to my growth over the years.

That is what I would like. I realize there is no money in this for the co-op, and I understand the co-op needs money, so maybe this is "pie in the sky", but anyway...this is my vision. :)
We so need community space where we can interact with each other minus the commercial aspect.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

Ellen, I remember the days when that space was called the “member room”, and it was exactly as you’re describing. The DIY aspect was really awesome. Right now we’re opening up the space during the day, and people are eating, chatting, even dancing. (If I can find the YouTube video Anthony and Justin made of them breakdancing in the space, I’ll link it here...)

At the same time, lots of people still crave a source for fresh juice and fresh-made foods. If we could provide that in the same space, while in no way inhibiting individuals’ ability to connect and create freely, I believe it would be an amazing win-win. I believe that’s where we’re heading at present.

Reasonable people might argue for a more purely commercial operation, but I’m not one of them. I’ve never felt the Co-op needed to make tons of money — just that it couldn’t afford to run at a loss.

Tonight, by the way, is yoga, meditation, and drum circle. Here’s the facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/150934701747755/
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

Ah, here it is — Co-op members dancing in the café space:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwirt-8hkE

I make a brief cameo at the end, after Anthony makes a ruckus falling hard on the floor...