speakers

Have goods or services for offer? Or do you need something yourself? Post here and link up with the members of your community!
marasunshine

speakers

Post by marasunshine »

i was wondering if anyone wanted to donate/fix our speakers in the store?? wouldn't it be nice to hear music all throughout the store?? i think so!!! ok, well just putting out there in the universe with hopes of a positive outcome!!
thank you muchly!!
mara
conley

wouldnt it be nice...

Post by conley »

i would surly be willing to take part in installing said speakers...
if anyone has either an extra speaker and or wiring to run...
there may still be wiring up in the ceiling from the previous speakers that have since passed away...
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

I'm pretty sure the wiring's all still there. We just need three 8-ohm speakers. Do we know what size speakers we need, though? (Wayne?)
Rich Menashe

speakers

Post by Rich Menashe »

why do we think they dont work are they connected to anything-
rich
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

I believe Wayne determined that the 3 speakers are blown.

Those 3 speakers are in a bag somewhere, last I saw. We could test them further if Wayne isn't confident in his determination.
janet

speakers

Post by janet »

Did anyone ask Morris about the problem?
Madzi

Speakers

Post by Madzi »

I have two big ol' monster speakers to donate...remnants of my quadrophenia-hippie-dippy days...
Rich Menashe

morris the speaker

Post by Rich Menashe »

i called him -
he will communicate with some one regarding this soon>
rich
Wayne DePrince

Post by Wayne DePrince »

John Leary wrote:I'm pretty sure the wiring's all still there. We just need three 8-ohm speakers. Do we know what size speakers we need, though? (Wayne?)

i remember finding all speakers not working save 1, which i moved to the front of the store above the register. you can recheck the ones in the bag, which are the bad ones. you can also check the size, but i believe they are just 8 ohm 6-inch speakers. we can probably make anything work though. sorry i never finished that project: we were waiting on new speakers.... as we still are ;)

peace, w
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Re: Speakers

Post by John Leary »

Madzi wrote:I have two big ol' monster speakers to donate...remnants of my quadrophenia-hippie-dippy days...

Love, reign o'er me....

Can you tell us the speaker dimensions?
Rich Menashe

speakers

Post by Rich Menashe »

were the speakers the correct voltage for the system.
is the wiring correct.
can it be connected to the laptop?
i thought that the system that we had was connected to a stereo-
doesnt that have a different amplification system.
don'tlaptops require an extenal amp??
is there a separate amp-
anything that you can add will be helpful-
thanks-
rich
Wayne DePrince

Post by Wayne DePrince »

there is already a tuner/amp that is powering the speakers. the wiring is a bit screwy i remember. one problem is stereo/mono: the speakers were wired for stereo, so you would have the left channel in bulk, and the right channel at the register. so there would be no vocals sometimes in certain parts of the store, depending on how the track was mixed. unfortunately, i could never find a MONO setting on the amp, so i shorted the input cable from the laptop/CD player, so both L/R channels had the same sum input of L+R. this way all speakers were getting the same signal. we need to make sure the same input wire i made is used (or something that does the same thing). i noticed at the coop yesterday that there was a new input wire. perhaps someone has rewired everything again?

peace, w
Madzi

Speakers

Post by Madzi »

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I'll get back to you about the dimensions of the speakers when I get home this evening.
I may have smaller ones if the others are too HUGE, and keep in mind that Freecycle.org is a treasure trove of STUFF that would otherwise find a way into landfills!
Madzi

Big ol speakers

Post by Madzi »

Off the top of my cranium, they're about 36 inches high and 10 to 12 wide and deep.
Rich Menashe

speakers and stuff

Post by Rich Menashe »

Chip and I evaluated the speakers-
2 were missing-
I purchased new ones and mike and I installed them-
they work -
we now have stereo in the store-
the exhaust fan at the top of the basement stairs wasn't working at last viewing-
I cleaned out the ac in the office.
the coils were filthy
we defrosted the fridge in the stock room.
rich
marasunshine

Post by marasunshine »

yay!! thank you!!
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

Wow, great job Rich and Chip! It'll be very good to hear those Beatles recordings properly again.

If you needed to make any unusual tweaks that we should document for "future generations", please let us know so we can put them in the wiki.

Peace,
John
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

Oops, I missed Mike's name there. Thanks to Mike too!
Wayne DePrince

Post by Wayne DePrince »

first, thanks for getting the speakers installed! that is really a great thing for the store and staff.

the only remaining issue is now that we have stereo, half of the music is in the produce/bulk, while the other half is at the register. listen to the beatles sgt pepper and you will realize what i mean. you get different parts of the song depending on where you are in the store and how the song is mixed. maybe we want it that way. otherwise, we just need to mono the sound so each speaker gets the mono (summed stereo) signal. perhaps someone who understands this can help? otherwise, when i stop by sometime in august i can take a look.

thanks again, w
janet

music

Post by janet »

To be honest I am not up on the technical equipment we are using now for music but and I am so grateful for the speakers that were installed so thank you both. The ideal situation for a retail enviroment is to have a mix of different kinds of music to please our whole customer and staff base, and maintain a volume that would work in the store. Having said that what would it take to have a system installed that could be programed to accomplish this? Its locatin should really be from the upstairs not at the counter which tempts theft. I would be happy for any feed back you could provide and maybe estimates. thanks janet